Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Eye of the beholder

Plato said "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

It's sometimes hard to appreciate art. People have such different tastes. Everyone has an opinion of what art is and usually more passionately, what it is NOT.

Landscape yes.. bucket of paint thrown at a canvas no. I try and be a little open minded.

I generally lean towards more contemporary art. You know like a tonne of rotting carrots strewed over a grand piano.. :)

Most people I talk to don't like it or say they "don't get it". I think thats a cop-out. People are used to passively absorbing what the TV blares out. They don't want to think. Clear your mind and see how it makes you feel.

I remember seeing an art piece once (I think in Chicago) which consisted of a sofa made of raw steak. Man did that cause a reaction! For those that do not know.. I'm a vegetarian! :)

I see art in technology, thats why I prefer apple products. You can tell that some serious creative thought has been applied. Its inspires me to do the same. It's probably why I'm so passionate about technology.

In any case, I saw this piece about paper sculptures. Yeah..yeah.. I can hear you saying 'whatever'.. but its really quite fascinating.. It obviously took a *long* time to make and I think I partially like it for that very reason. To put that much effort really shows something that I just can't quantify.

Anyhoo.. the final question that came to mind after seeing all of this was.. you guessed it.. "How many paper cuts did he get?!!" ;-)

No comments: