Monday, May 14, 2007

First kiss

My first computer I used was the TRS 80 MODEL III. I was 11 years old and knew immediately how I wanted to spend my life. We used to go after school to the special room which had computers, to play video games. Mostly a space invaders clone and a multi-user tron game.

I got board relatively quickly and wanted to know how it all worked and so started trying to make my own. I started in BASIC but found it too slow for games and progressed to Z80 machine code. Since I didn't have an assembler, I had to type the hex codes by hand. *sigh*

Looking at the specs it was ridiculous underpowered (compared to today). 16K of RAM 2MHz CPU (Zilog Z80 to those that are interested).

That was 26 years ago. I have no doubt that I will look back in 26 years time and smirk of what I had to do in 2007..

Let me know in the comments what you started on.

No comments: